Demons in Disguise 2: The Unexpected Perks of Being a Demon

I race across the park, my speed unbelievably fast. It was exhilarating, running like this, like I was a bird flying free.

“Caitlin!” Someone screamed behind me. With dissing speed I stop. I turn around. I gasp, I knew he was going to come, but it was so soon.

Sighing I looked at his face. His brown eyes so dark they look black. His bald head shining in the summer sun. “What do you want?” I ask impatient.

“You know what I want.” he said. Yes I know, he wanted me to be his little demon pet.

“No, I told you already, I'm not going to do your Mission” I sigh dramatically.

“You have to take your place, you are a demon! Act like it!” he growled.

“No, I will do as I want! I might be a demon,” I said again. “but I won't be your pet!” I whipped my head around and walked away, again.

The demon followed. “Don't you want to know what you're capable of? How much better you are then all?” he tempted.

“No, I've learned enough! I know about the lying and it's far too much!” I yell at him. We're attracting a crowd, people all across the park are turning to see what the two people are shouting about.

“that is only a small fraction of how powerful demons can be!” he smiles sickly.

I lower my voice this time, “No, okay? I don't want to be part of your sick game with your sick mission!” I say as smoothly as I can.

“No! You are mine! You will be part of my game. You are my pawn, and anything you do will not change that!” then he walked away. Leaving me here, with my confused thoughts.

What did that mean? What was I to expect? Would I have to hide?

The answer came bleak and blunt. I would have to watch my back.


“What... No! You can't do that! You... can't... just leave!” She stuttered. “you're our best model!”

“Actually I can leave. And you will just have to find yourself a new 'best model'” I said, eager to leave this place.

“Why?” she asks, like she was close to tears.

“Because this isn't my place.” a lie. But a necessary one.

She sighs, defeated.

I grab my bag and I leave my building. I'm jobless now, it was oddly freeing.


On my way home I keep checking the road, I drive slowly. Slow enough that someone honks at me, an anger washes over me. As it always did when I am told what to do. Swallowing, hard. I shake my head.


At home I lock all my doors, though I don't know what it would do against a demon. I shut all the windows, and I worry. Occasionally I spoon a tub of Ice Cream. Watching the windows, I wait.


Tick, Tick, Tick


Says my clock in my living room. It's the only sound, it counts the minutes until I get to go to sleep, I get to go bed, both good and bad. Good because it's sleep. Bad because it's the perfect time for him to attack.

I wait. And wait. And wait.


Ring! Ring! Ring!


I nearly far over from the sudden sound, I realize I had been falling asleep, so I had missed who ever came to my door.

Slowly I get up and inch to the door. I peep out the window. It's not the bald man outside. it's a man. Probably a mail man, he has blond hair and green eyes.

I move to the door, I fix my hair and open the door. “Yes?” I ask.

“Miss Haiven?” he asks with a light accent

“Yes. That's me.”

“I was sent to train you.”

I startle back a step. “Train?”

“Yes, for your mission.” Was this man a demon?

No! was my first reaction. But then I thought about it, I was living in constant worry, it was exhausting, maybe learning my powers could help me. Maybe I could defend myself from the bald demon. Yes, i'll train, and then i'll fight the bald demon.

“Yes, of course! I had forgotten!” well, at least I had the perk of lying.

“May I come in and set up, then we can begin.”

“Right now? Okay...” I open the door wide, then I let him set up. I walk to the kitchen to breathe. Then it hit me, I just let a demon into my house. I shudder.


“Okay, so what can I do?” I ask, standing on a boxing mat in the middle of my large empty basement. “i know that I can lie, run and not get hurt, but what else?”

“Many things, that's what makes us greater than everyone else.” he smiles, which is sick looking. “We can fly, fight, teleport, we're beautiful and of course we have speed, lying, invincibility. We also have immortality and the best singing voices in the world.”

I feel like the breathe was knocked out of my body, Immortality? I try to hide my shock.

“Singing? What a unexpected perk of being a demon.” I laugh. The man doesn't laugh. I clear my throat. “Okay, what are we practicing?”

“right now we're doing fighting.” he says, then without warning, he swings out his legs. On instinct I step back. his leg sweeps with amazing speed right were I was standing. Then without even a second of break, he swings a punch at my face. I swing my head to the left. Then he swings with the other fist at my head. I duck, swinging a punch at his gut, he backs up a step may fist swings in air. He punches straight at my face. I swing to the right this time, just as he punches to the left of my head. Swinging at his face time he parries.

After 20 minutes of swings and misses, neither me or him get in a single hit, always moving out of the way and blocking, we take a break.

Gulping my water, I turn to him, “What's your name?”

“Bren.”

“Bren? Okay. What was that, the fighting?”

“It was a demon fight. We are both equal in skill, as all demons are, so when we fight neither of us can win.” he says.

“Okay, are we done with fighting?” I ask tired of fighting.

“Yes, next I'm going to show you how to teleport.”

Sighing a breath of relief, I slump slightly, Maybe teleportation will be easier.

After my last gulp of water, I stand up and walk to the mat again. “Okay, so how do I teleport?”

“Focus on where you want to go and will yourself there.”

“Okay.” I furrow my my brow. Concentrating on my kitchen. I blink and I find myself in the kitchen. I let out a squeal of joy. “I did it, Bren!”

Bren walks in the kitchen with one brow up, “That was fast.” he says simply.

“What?”

“Do it again.”

“Okay...?” I teleport myself to the living room again.

“Intriguing...” He says.

“What?” I ask.

“Let's go outside.” he says ignoring my question.

“Why?”

“Flying.”

I Follow him outside, my yard is rather big so there should be enough room for flying. It's dusk, so the sky has a New York golden sky.

“How do I fly?” I ask, looking at the sky uncertainly.

“it's like jumping.” he says.

“Okay.” I say, bending my legs for a jump. With a deep breathe I push my self off the ground. With a sound that sounds like fabric whipping in the wind, I find my self ascending.

Bren frowns up at me. “Wings,” he mutters.

Wings? What? Then I hear the flapping. I look over and I see them, coming out my back, I nearly scream. They each are as big as the bald man. Arching high and dropping low. They're a black gray color with small white glitter. They flap keeping me suspended in the air. Gasping I realize I'm flapping the wings. I lower myself to the ground and stand looking in awe at (my) wings. I reach out and touch them. The feathers are soft and firm.

“Wings.” Bren mutters again.

“Wings.” I agree, though I don't know what he means. “Do most demons have wings?” I ask.

“Some. Only the most powerful, though.” he seems to be staring at the white glitter.

“What? Why are you staring at them like that then?”

“Why are they white?” he seems terrified of the white parts.

“What?” He seems to be very confused. What did the white parts mean? “there not all white.” I say hoping he thinks it's nothing.

“Who are you?” he backs up. Suddenly terrified of me. “Are... are you a...” he gulps trying to squeeze the word he seems terrified of. “Angel?”

“Angel? What? No!” I wish. “My wings are black!”

“but... why are they white?”

“I don't know!” I shout angry at him.

He leaps up and stands and slowly nods his head in agreement. I'd forgotten I could do that. Make someone agree with me. I haven't had to do that in a while. But if when fighting, he can fight me blow to blow, he didn't seem to buy half my lies. Why did this work?

Shaking my head, I clear my head, the thoughts are useless.

“Okay, now is there anything else?”

“Well, um... you already know the rest.” he shakes his head, walking away. “Umm... I'm going to go.”

Frowning I watch him leave.

He didn't list that we could convince people of doing things. Why could I do that? Why were my wings white and gray?

These were questions I could not answer, but I couldn't hope. I am a demon.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen of Assassins (Part 1)

The Queen of Assassin's (Part 2)